Ed Walters

ed_waltersThe sightings began on November 11, 1987. He was working late that night when his attention was drawn to a light coming from his yard. As he went to the window to get a better vantage point, he saw a glowing object partially obscured by a 30 foot tall pine tree in his front yard. Racing outside to get a clearer view of the object, he was taken back by the sight before him. He was staring at an object with the shape of a top. It had a row of dark squares which were separated with portals between them. The craft seemed to hover just above the road, showing a glowing ring around its bottom. Ed ran into his house, and grabbed his Polaroid camera. He snapped off several photos of the craft before deciding to get even closer. As he paused in the street to take more photos of the strange object, it began to hover almost directly over his head. Walters was then hit by a bright bluish beam which shot from the object. He was literally lifted from the ground by its force. It was then that he heard a voice say, “Don’t worry, we will not harm you.” Images began to enter his mind. Ed stated the images were revealed to him “as if they were turning the pages of a book” The next thing Walters remembered was waking up. The glowing UFO was nowhere to be seen. Only a few days later, on November 17, Walters took his photographs and story to the local Gulf Breeze Sentinel newspaper. Ed discussed the photographs with the paper’s Editor, and began to relate to him the details of the sighting. The UFO account would grow like a Texas wild fire, as Ed began to claim more visitations, and produce more and more graphic photographs of unusual flying objects over the vicinity of Gulf Breeze. Ed’s credibility came under fire, but all who knew him described him as a trustworthy, honest man. His wife Frances was his most loyal and unwavering partner. On November 20, Ed could hear a hum and voices as if communications were being made between individuals, and he was on the outside hearing part of it. Going outside, his attention was drawn to a small dot of light which was falling from the sky. It pulled up, and began to hover. Ed took a photo of it. This contact hum seemed to indicate to Ed that there was a UFO near him. Ed received another visit on December 2. Ed was awakened at about 3:30 am by the sound of his dog barking . He proceeded to his French doors and opened the blinds. He was looking at a creature about 4 foot in height with large black eyes.In the early morning hours of December 5th, a UFO hovered above the trees near the high school not far from Ed’s house. The UFO descended to hover just above the ground or land. Ed photographed the object and the landing spot. Ed would receive support from the UFO organization MUFON. They heard of Ed’s account, and launched an investigation into the Gulf Breeze Sightings. After an initial look into Ed’s evidence, MUFON was convinced that he was telling the truth, and his photos were genuine. Walter Andrus, state director for the Mutual UFO Network, studied the case for three years. His conclusions were: “The overwhelming evidence is in. Gulf Breeze is indeed one of the most incredible cases in modern UFO history.”

Not everyone agreed with MUFON. The Center for UFO Studies (CUFOS) did not believe the Walters story, and other members of the UFO community at large believed the photographs to be staged. The National Enquirer was initially interested in the Walters account, but before committing to purchase the photos, it sent them to NASA’s Dr. Robert Nathan for analysis. Nathan was unable to certify them as genuine, and the Enquirer passed on the option.

Ed Walters was not alone in his UFO reports as others began reporting the unidentified objects flying over Gulf Breeze. More than 30 residents of the community had come forward with sighting reports in a matter of weeks, some accompanied by photographs. Although there were over 200 other reports over the next three years people became skeptical of Walters reports when a model similar to the UFOís he had pictures of was found in a house once owned by him.

Read More: